25TH NOVEMBER 2021
“Thursday 25 November 21 sees an all-new full day Dorset event as part of Carers Rights Day. The theme is ‘Caring for your future’ and aims to celebrate, thank and support unpaid carers, bringing them together with organisations across Dorset to help them find out how to get the help and support they are entitled to. It is also an opportunity for professionals to learn about what is on offer for unpaid Carers from the local authority, carers, voluntary and community organisations”
The free event will be held predominately virtually via Microsoft Teams throughout the day and will feature a series of bite-size sessions aimed at both unpaid carers and professionals who work with and support unpaid carers. The Dorset Museum are hosting in partnership with Dorset Council a live Dorchester based event. We hope to be able to link with other face-to-face events in different parts of the county at libraries and Tricuro sites.
We are very pleased to have guest speaker Vice President of Carers UK, Dame Philippa Russell, who has been caring for her disabled son, Simon, for over half a century. Dame Philippa also is the former Chair of the Prime Minister’s Standing Commission on Carers. Dame Philippa Russell session will include a Q&A session so please forward your questions to [email protected] in advance.”
Other sessions will feature topics such as:
- Ideas to get a break from caring
- Technology enabled care with Tec lounge video and Tech enabled care
- Mindfulness sessions (how to look after your mental health)
- Understanding carers rights and how to support them,
- The benefits of registering with your GP as a carer
- Meet Carer Support Dorset and Rethink Dorset Carers Service
- Welfare benefits advice
- PamaLife interview
- Stepping into Nature, Picnic in the Parks and Walk Dorset’s History
- Laughter Yoga session
- Shared Lives information
- How to make sure your home is safe (Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service), community support and keeping healthy.
And much more!
The sessions can be watched live online, or some will be available to download afterwards. There will also be resources to include leaflets advertising services available to download.
All the sessions will be advertised on SharePoint and Event Brite. Look out for more information advertised nearer the time.