Yes, a bit late to post this because it was October!
But Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is such an important subject and one personal to me as I have a family member with ADHD. There are so many misconceptions about it and I would like to dispel just a few. It is very badly portrayed in the media as a problem for naughty boys and parents ‘opting out’ and resorting to pills.
So, some things I know:
- It is demonstrable on brain scans.
- Many people have the inattentive type (not hyperactive in a physical sense) which is much harder to spot and is often missed at school (my experience).
- It affects girls just as much as boys.
- Underachievement is common and perceived intelligence may not be see in exam results (also my experience).
- It is classed as a psychiatric condition and is officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist.
- Adults have ADHD, not just children.
- https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/understanding-adhd is a great course to learn more about it by Kings College London.