MENTAL HEALTH NORTH DORSET
HELP AND PEER SUPPORT
The name of the organisation shall be ‘Mental Health North Dorset Help and Peer Support’ hereafter referred to as the ‘Organisation’.
The objects of the Organisation shall be:
- To provide support and information for the residents and users of the towns in North Dorset and beyond.
- To meet as a Peer Support Group in Shaftesbury in person or maintain contact by other means if this is not possible for any reason.
- To maintain a website providing information, help and a showcase for art in its broadest sense from those organisations and individuals affected by mental health difficulties.
- To breakdown the stigma of mental health problems by whatever means possible.
In furtherance of the objects but not otherwise, the Management Committee may exercise the power to:
- Promote the mental health and wellbeing of people in the area and work together with people irrespective of age, sex, ethnicity, ability, religion, diagnosis or political view.
- Promote the needs of those who have, or care for someone who has mental health problems, working in partnership with other organisations.
- Invite and receive contributions and raise funds where appropriate, to finance the work of the Organisation and to open a bank account to manage such funds.
- Publicise and promote the work of the Organisation and organise meetings, events and training where appropriate.
- Work with other organisations and groups and exchange information, advice and knowledge with them, including cooperation with other voluntary bodies, charities, statutory and non-statutory organisations.
- Employ staff and volunteers (who shall not be members of the Management Committee) as are necessary to conduct activities to meet the objects.
- Take any form of action that is lawful, which is necessary to achieve the objects of the Organisation.
- Membership shall be open to anyone who has an interest in the Organisation to achieve the objects and is willing to adhere to the rules. Those who attend any Peer Support Groups and have filled in a registration form will automatically be members of the Organisation. Those who indicate a wish to be a member on the Organisation’s website and provide similar information and contact details will be considered as members.
- Where it is considered membership would be detrimental to the aims and activities of the Organisation the Management Committee shall have the power to refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a Management Committee Meeting, which may be held in addition to already scheduled meetings. Members shall have the right to appeal via an independent adjudicator determined by mutual agreement of the Management Committee.
- Any member may resign their membership by providing the Management Committee with written (including email) notice.
- Management Committee
- The Organisation shall be administered by a management committee of no less than three (3) people and no more than ten (10). Members will be elected for a period of up to one year, but may be re-elected at the Organisation’s AGM.
- The Organisation shall have a Committee consisting of:
- The Chairperson
- The Treasurer
- The Secretary
And any additional officers the Organisation deems necessary at the meeting to carry out the required activities.
- The Committee shall meet at least two (2) times a year. Meetings shall enable the Organisation to discuss actions and monitor progress to date, and to consider future developments.
- All members shall be given at least 14 days’ notice of when a meeting is due to take place, unless it is deemed an emergency.
- Two-thirds of Committee members must be present in order for a meeting to take place.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chairperson to chair all meetings or a designated deputy in their absence. All meetings must be minuted and accessible to interested parties.
- The AGM shall take place no later than three months after the end of the financial year. At least fourteen (14) days’ notice must be given before the meeting takes place.
- All members are entitled to vote at the AGM. Voting shall be made by a show of hands on a majority basis. If the numbers are equal the Chairperson or appointed deputy will have a casting vote.
- Any money acquired by the Organisation including donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the Management Committee in the name of the organisation. All funds must be applied to the objects of the Organisation and for no other purpose.
- Bank accounts shall be opened in the name of the Organisation. Any deeds, cheques etc. relating to the Organisation’s bank account shall be signed by at least two (2) of the following Committee members: Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary.
- Any income/expenditure shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who will ensure that the Organisation stays within budget. Official records of income and expenditure shall be maintained, and will be examined annually by an independent accountant who is not a member of the Organisation. An annual financial report shall be presented at the AGM. The Organisation’s accounting year shall run from 1st April to 31st March.
- Alteration of the Constitution
- Any changes to this Constitution must be agreed by a majority vote at a special general meeting.
- Amendments to this constitution or dissolution of the Organisation must be conveyed to the Secretary formally in writing (includes email). The Secretary and other officers shall then decide on the date of a special general meeting to discuss such proposals giving members at least four weeks (28 days) notice.
- The Organisation may be dissolved if deemed necessary by the members in a majority vote at a special meeting. Any assets or remaining funds after debts have been paid shall be returned to their providers or transferred to local charities or organisations within the field of mental health and wellbeing at the discretion of the Management Committee.
This Constitution was adopted at a meeting held via Zoom at 11.00 am on 4th November 2020
Signed Chair Amanda Sadler
Treasurer Judith Lask
Secretary Jane Mongini